I have a deep love for smoked cocktails and I have found using a good ol’ fashion cedar plank tile gives the smokiest & best depth of flavour! Below you’ll find the recipes for two cocktails & one mocktail because you don’t need alcohol to get sizzly!
You might be thinking, how do you light something on fire without alcohol though!? That’s where lemon extract comes in! It’s basically as flammable as moonshine so you can get all the effect without the booze! Let’s get lit!
- 2oz Whiskey
- 1oz Red Vermouth
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1 cup of ice
- A cherry or two for garnish
- In a shaker or cocktail carafe, add the ingredients and STIR over a cup of ice for at least 1 – 2 minutes then let it sit for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light up a cedar plank using a torch and once it has a good flame going – place over a chilled glass and let it fill with smoke for about 2 mins.
- Remove the plank and pour the cocktail mix into the glass.
- Light up the cedar plank again using a torch and once it’s got a good flame going – place over the glass and let it fill with smoke for another 2 mins. Remove plank and serve immediately with a cherry garnish.
- Get lit? 😉
You can make this with – or without egg white!
- 3oz Rose wine
- 1oz St-Germain liqueur
- 1 dash of Angostura Bitters
- 1 dash of Campari
- 1/2 an egg white per cocktail – 1 whole egg white for two (optional)
- 1/2 cup of ice
- Strawberry cut into a heart for garnish
- Note that the above amounts will differ based on the type of glass you use but the combination of flavours is amazing so it doesn’t have to be exact my any means.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all the ingredients (with egg white if you want it frothy or without if you don’t). If using egg white, shake rigorously until it becomes frothy. If not using, you can give it a less rigorous shake.
- Pour into your cocktail glass and top with strawberry! Cheers!
Fiery Love – Mocktail
- Non-alcoholic Sparkling Rose
- 2-3 Dashes of Angostura bitters
- Crushed ice
- For the Garnish:
- 1 brown sugar cube (for a sweeter mocktail)
- Half a small orange
- 1-2 tsp of Lemon extract
- Add crushed ice to your glass followed by non-alcoholic rose and bitters. (Leave enough room so that it won’t spill out when you add the orange – pictured here are full glasses just for the photo).
- In a small bowl, douse the orange and sugar cube (if using) in lemon extract. Place on top of the drink and light on fire using a torch.
- Once it’s been torched – drop the whole thing in. Cheers!