I am not going to lie… giving up tartare has been one of the hardest challenges in these last 9 months! Tuna and avocado tartare was one of my favourite go-to meals so coming up with a way to enjoy tartare was a huge win! One thing you need in a tartare is something “meaty” so I opted for some beautiful Avocados From Mexico to achieve a meaty, decadent, fulfilling tartare.
You may be thinking, how will this taste anything like tartare? Behold my secret weapon ingredient: Togarashi seasoning! This popular Japanese spice blend dates back to the 17th century and typically includes red chili peppers, sanshō or sichuan peppercorns, dried orange peel, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, ground ginger, poppy seeds and nori (dried seaweed). By adding this spice blend to both the tomato and Avocados From Mexico, I achieved exactly what I intended to: the flavour of fish – without the fish!
I always like serving my tartare with a potato chip for a delicious crunch and if you have the time to make em’ homemade – I highly recommend! This was my first time enjoying this tartare with sweet potato chips and I will say it was a win! The chips added a nice sweet component to the slightly spicy tartare.
Recipe for Avocado-Tomato Tartare
- 1 Avocado From Mexico, diced
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 shallot, diced and divided
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 tsp togarashi seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 tsp ponzu, divided
- 1 tbsp panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- For serving:
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Spicy Mayo Drizzle
- Using two medium size bowls: to one bowl add the diced avocado and to the second bowl add the diced tomato.
- To each bowl, add: 1/4 diced shallot, 1/4 tsp white sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp black sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp togarashi, 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1/2 tsp ponzu. Mix each bowl well.
- Using a mold, add the tomato mixture and pack it down. Next, add the avocado mixture. Top with toasted panko, chives and edible flowers as a garnish.
- Serve alongside sweet potato chips and spicy mayo. Bon Appetit!