I think we all have those recipes that we feel like we have made a million times – for me – its Chicken Souvlaki. That’s why for this recipe, I wanted to take an old classic and change it up a bit with the addition of Greek Yogurt and switch up the cooking method by roasting the chicken! The result was an incredibly moist chicken breast – full of flavour. Do I think it’s better than my classic Chicken Souvlaki? Not entirely – but I’m happy I tried something new and this will definitely be something I make again!
I will say that like many most Greek recipes I make, the marinade / base of the dish is incredibly versatile and can often be used in the same meal as the salad dressing and marinade for other proteins and starches. And for me… a good Greek seasoning blend the first step of any good Greek dish! There are lots of great pre-mixed herb blends out there and if I’m going to use one – I always try to stick to the ones without any addition of salt or sugar so that I can add those myself depending on what I’m making.
Recipe for Greek Seasoning Blend:
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1½ tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- Combine all the spices and grind them to a fine powder in a spice grinder. Store in an airtight jar until ready to use.
For the Chicken Breasts:
- 4 6oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt (2% is ideal)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Greek, if you have it)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp Greek Seasoning Blend (see above)
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken with all the ingredients and give it a good mix to ensure the chicken is completely coated in the yogurt mixture. Cover dish and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line an oven safe dish with parchment paper and place the chicken in the dish. Roast chicken for 20 – 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven & serve with your favourite accompaniments, like Homemade Tzatziki, Horiatiki Salad and Greek Feta Potatoes!