So what do get when you combine Homemade Pesto-Bruschetta and a BBQ’d Flatbread Crust!? Only the most amazing food invention to take place on my BBQ, like, ever!
In my opinion, pesto on anything is always a good idea – especially if you pick the basil right from the garden, like I did for this recipe!
Recipe (for the Pesto):
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Makes 1 cup of Pesto
- In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified.
- Store any extra in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe (for the flatbread):
- 1 package of pizza dough
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp fresh pesto (recipe above)
- 1 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- Additional basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle and spray both sides with a non-stick cooking oil to keep from sticking to the grill.
- Place the dough directly on the heat source, cooking for about 5 minutes each side; or just until grill marks are achieved.
- Remove the dough from the grill and top with 3 tbsp of pesto, cheese and chopped tomatoes.
- Return the flatbread to the grill and cook until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a healthy side of pesto for dipping!