Grimm’s European Wieners on Focaccia with Summer-Herb Ranch Slaw.
Yes – you heard both of those things right; focaccia and ranch slaw are a thing! I took the best of both worlds and mixed the sweetness and acidity of coleslaw and mixed it with the herbalishness of ranch and VOILA – Ranch Slaw.
As for the wieners, I took a summertime classic and put my spin on it for a more elegant, “European” inspired take (I mean, they are European Wieners after all!) The focaccia allows you to fully load your links more than standard bun since it is so absorbing and doesn’t get soggy (and if you’re like me, you like your links fully-loaded!)
- 1 package of Grimm’s European Wieners
- 1 loaf Focaccia bread (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the Ranch slaw
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh summer herbs, chopped (1 tbsp chopped fresh dill, 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives)
- 6 cups of chopped cabbage (red and green mix, or store-bought)
- Grainy dijon mustard, Pickled onion, Sauerkraut, Banana peppers
- Start by making the Ranch Slaw so that it can chill for as long as possible (or make up to 8 hours ahead of time and keep it chilled). Combine all the ingredients except the cabbage and whisk until well combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add dressing mixture to chopped cabbage and mix until well combined. Cover and chill until ready to eat (I recommend chilling for 1-2 hours if you can).
- Preheat a BBQ or Grill pan to medium heat. Slice one loaf of focaccia into 4-6 rectangles depending on the size of your loaf (should be about 5-6 inches long and 3 inches wide). Brush each side with olive oil.
- Add the wieners to preheated grill and cook until nicely charred (about 10 minutes). At the 5 minute mark, add the oiled foccacia to the grill (bottom down) and grill for about 5 minutes, until toasted.
- Place the wiener on the focaccia (bottom side up) and dress your wiener with your favourite toppings, shown here with grainy dijon, pickled red onion, sauerkraut and pickled banana peppers.
- Serve with a side of chilled Ranch Slaw (or if you’re feeling adventurous, load up your link even more and put it right on top!). Enjoy!