Nothing says summer like the smell of smokies and fresh corn on the grill! To me, this recipe is the ultimate celebration of summer grilling! It brings together my top two favourite summer ingredients: Grimm’s Jalapeño Cheddar Smokies and Mexican Street Corn to create the perfect and complete, summer meal. There is absolutely no shortage on flavour with this recipe and since it’s so simple, I consider this an excellent “week night” meal as well.
Grimm’s Jalapeño Cheddar smokies are incredibly flavourful on their own and pack such a great amount of heat so balancing them with refreshing corn and a creamy dressing made for a truly delicious and balanced meal.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 package Grimm’s Jalapeño Cheddar Smokies (contains 5 smokies)
- 5 fresh corn on the cob, husked
- 1 package of arugula
- 125g queso fresco*
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- Tomatillo-Cilantro Crema dressing:
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- Juice from 1 lime
- 3 tomatillos
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed (+ more for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- If you can’t find queso fresco, substitute for feta
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- To the preheated grill, add the corn on the cob and the smokies and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning 1-2 times until evenly grilled. For the remaining 5 minutes, add the tomatillos and the jalapeño to the grill to get a light char. Remove everything from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- To make the Tomatillo-Cilantro Crema, in a food processor or blender, combine the sour cream, lime juice, grilled tomatillos, cilantro, seasoning, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the salad.
- Slice the Jalapeño Cheddar smokies, the jalapeño pepper and cut the corn from the cob. In a large salad bowl, add the arugula, followed by the corn and drizzle with the crema. Sprinkle on the queso fresco then layer the salad with the smokie slices. Finish by adding the grilled jalapeño slices and some fresh cilantro. Enjoy!