Did you just say Jalapeño Mozzarella Smokies & Lime Donair Sauce!? SAYYY WHAT. Yeah I did! All I can say for this recipe is… BRACE YOURSELF. There is so much flavour, I dare you to eat only one (it’s not possible, I ate 3 in one sitting). There’s sweetness from the corn and donair sauce, there’s tanginess from the limes and vinegars and most of all, there’s spiciness from the Jalapeño Smokies and relish that make for an explosion of flavour!
The best part of this recipe is that every single element of it gets thrown on the BBQ, down to the limes in the donair sauce! As a result, there is this smoky depth of flavour that is just oh so delicious!
Talk about elevating your BBQ game with this recipe! My tip for entertaining with this recipe: make the relish and donair sauce the day before, then when you’re guests arrive – you can grill up the smokies & naan and serve in no time!
- 1 package (6) Grimm’s Sizzlin’ Jalapeño & Mozzarella Smokies
- 6 naan bread
- For the Grilled Jalapeño-Corn Relish:
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 a medium red onion
- 3 jalapeños, halved and deseeded* (since the smokies themselves are spicy, I removed all the seeds)
- 1 red bell pepper, halved
- 4 corn on the cob
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Juice from 1 grilled lime
- For the Lime Donair Sauce:
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Juice from 1 grilled lime
- 1 can (300ml) condensed milk
- First, you will want to get started on the relish and the donair sauce.
- For the relish: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle all the relish components with olive oil and place directly on the grill: corn, onion, both limes (halved), jalapeños and red pepper. Cook directly on the heat source, turning 1-2 times, for about 10 minutes, or until all the elements are nicely charred. Corn will likely take an additional 5 minutes on the grill, depending on the size.
- Meanwhile while those are grilling, prepare the donair sauce by whisking together the condensed milk, vinegar, garlic powder and juice from 1 grilled lime in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and once cool enough to handle, remove the corn from the cob and finely chop the jalapeños, red onion and bell pepper. Combine in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together the brown sugar, water, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Heat on the stove to a low boil, stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and pour the vinegar mixture over the corn mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more before serving.
- Place smokies directly on the preheated grill and cook (turning often) on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- For the last 5 minutes, add naan bread to the grill just to warm it. (If they feel a little stiff, pop each one in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them easier to fold.)
- Serve smokies inside of the grilled naan and top with relish & donair sauce!